For my Thursday Thirteen post, I thought I would list 13 of my favorite sports movies (now, I have way more than 13, so it was hard choosing which ones to list). So, in no particular order, I give you my Thursday Thirteen...
1. The Rookie: Of course a baseball movie would be the first one I list. This is one of those "feel-good-based-on-a-true-life-story" Disney movie. The only thing keeping it from being cheesy is that it really happened. I do just have one minor complaint (okay, two). During the scene filmed at The Ballpark in Arlington, they have the visiting team in the Rangers bullpen. Also, the scene was taking place in the 90s (when the Rangers were wearing their red uniforms). And in the movie, they were wearing blue. VERY minor, only a sports
freak nut enthusiast such as myself would notice.
My favorite quote: "I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things running."
2. Remember the Titans: Even if you don't like football, how can you NOT like a movie with Denzel Washington in it? This is another movie based on a true story (yes, it was done by Disney).
My favorite quote: "A water break? Water is for cowards. Water makes you weak. Water is for washing blood off that uniform and you don't get no blood on my uniform, boy you must be outside your mind! We are going to do up-downs, until Blue is no longer tired, and thirsty."
3. Miracle: I swear, I'm not obsessed with Disney, they just seem to make a lot of sports movies! This movie tells the story of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team. I'm sure everyone knows that story and the outcome. But if not, I won't ruin it for you (in case you want to watch it). But, I will share a clip of the real hockey game (the "do you believe in miracles" moment).
My favorite quote: "Great moments... are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it."
4. The Blind Side: I love, love, love Sandra Bullock in this movie. She so deserved the Oscar for her performance. This movie is based on the true life story of NFL player Michael Oher.
My favorite quote: "If you so much as set foot downtown, you will be sorry. I'm in a prayer group with the D.A., I'm a member of the NRA and I'm always packing."
5. Field of Dreams: This one never gets old. And I know more than one guy who admits getting a little teary eyed at the end of this one. How can you not?
My favorite quote: "At least he is not a book burner, you Nazi cow." I bet you thought I was going to put, "If you build it, he will come.", didn't you? ;)
6. Facing the Giants: I love this movie because of the determination of a man of God to get this story out there. No one in Hollywood would produce this movie, so a church group filmed/produced/acted in this movie. There are no "big names" or "professionals" found anywhere in it. Ticket sales and DVD sales exceeded everyone's expectations. The same group also produced the Kirk Cameron movie Fireproof.
My favorite quote: "Grant, we gotta do something about the car. The only thing it does faithfully for us is break down."
7. Rudy: A movie for someone who needs to believe that dreams come true. I also love Sean Astin in this movie! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!
My favorite quote: "Son, in 35 years of religious study, I have only come up with two hard incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and I'm not Him."
8. Eight Men Out: This movie is based on the 1919 "Black Sox Scandal". And it stars three big names from the 80s: John Cusack, Charlie Sheen and Christopher Lloyd.
My favorite quote: 1st Cincinnati Reds Player: These guys don't look so tough.
2nd Cincinnati Reds Player: Yeah, that's what Custer said when the Indians took the field.
9. Hoosiers: I had to get a basketball movie in here somewhere! This movie stars two great actors, Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper. And I want to say it was inspired by a true life story.
My favorite quote: "I would hope you would support who we are. Not, who we are not. These six individuals have made a choice to work, a choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line 23 nights for the next 4 months, to represent you, this high school. That kind of commitment and effort deserves and demands your respect. This is your team."
10. Chariots of Fire: Even if you have never seen this movie, you probably have heard the theme from it. This movie is based on a true story of two British track athletes competing in the 1924 Olympics. (Quick side note to all my Lord of the Ring friends. A young Ian Holm, aka Bilbo Baggins, is in this movie!)
My favorite quote: "You can praise God by peeling a spud if you peel it to perfection. Don't compromise. Compromise is a language of the devil. Run in God's name and let the world stand back and in wonder."
11. We Are Marshall: I'll admit, this one made me cry (**tissue alert**). Based on the true story of the tragedy that hit Marshall University in November 1970 when a plane crash took the lives of virtually their entire football team and coaching staff. If you are a Matthew McConaughey or Matthew Fox fan, even if you don't like football, this is one you don't want to miss!
My favorite quote: "One day, not today, not tomorrow, not this season, probably not next season either but one day, you and I are gonna wake up and suddenly we're gonna be like every other team in every other sport where winning is everything and nothing else matters. And when that day comes, well thats, thats when we'll honor them."
12. Friday Night Lights: If you are not from Texas, or have never been in Texas during high school football season, you might not realize how true to life this movie is. This movie is based on a book with the same name. Of course, the first thing I noticed is how it reunited Billy Bob Thorton with his Slingblade co-star, Lucas Black (I know, I notice the weirdest things!)
My favorite quote: "Perfection is being able to look your friends in the eye and know you did everything you could not to let them down."
13. The Stratton Story: Of course I had to get a Jimmy Stewart movie in this list! This movie is based on the story of major league pitcher Monty Stratton. After a hunting accident, his career ended when he had to have his right leg amputated. I remember watching this movie with my mom when I was little. My mom actually had a baseball signed by Monty Stratton, but one day my brothers decided to play catch with it outside, and lost it. A few years ago a friend of mine was able to track down a Monty Stratton autograph, so I got it for my mom for Christmas. She won't let my brother's touch it! :)
My favorite quote:[after accidentally shooting himself in the leg] "I shot the wrong rabbit!"