Sometimes we (and I'm including myself in this) spend too much time looking at the negative things in life. Even if we don't mean to, I think it's just human nature. When life gets you down, it's easier to look at the bad rather than the good. To quote the song Ac-cent-tchu-ate The Positive,"You've got to accentuate the positive/Eliminate the negative/Latch on to the affirmative/Don't mess with Mister In-Between."
I saw this video online of the cutest little girl (named Jessica). She was feeling good about life and listed all the things that she liked about it. Too cute!!
I figured we could all learn from Jessica. As some of you know, the past few weeks haven't been the greatest for me (feel free to read back over some of my old posts from last week). I've done this before, but I felt it was time once again to list the good things in my life. So, in no particular order....
1. For the first time in five years, I bought a new bathing suit. Is my body in the shape I want it to be? No. I perhaps have slacked off in my working out, I haven't been to the gym in a while (3 months to be exact). BUT, a friend reminded me of something important today. My friends aren't friends with me because of how I look. They like me because of who I am. I'm hoping to get to the beach this summer, and I'm sure I would look silly if I showed up wearing jeans and a T-shirt. Will I look like a Victoria's Secret model? HECK NO. Will I be posting pictures of me in a bathing suit on my blog? Don't count on it. BUT, I need to learn to be happy with the way I look. To heck with what other people think! For those who are curious, here is a picture of my bathing suit (courtesy of the Kohl's website, this is not a picture of me). : ) Whoever invented the "tankini" is a genius!!
2. I have the greatest friends EVER. I was told recently I have too many friends. I totally disagree. I don't think a person can ever have too many friends. I am a complete mess at times. And I can be a handful, yet people continue to want to be my friend and hang out with me (either they really like me, or my mother is bribing them with her homemade cookies and pies- she does seem to bake them a lot!!) I went to my folks' last weekend and my mother had made 15 dozen cookies and 55 mini pecan pies for a local bake sale. I never saw the bake sale, perhaps she was mailing them out to my friends? ;)
A view of my parents' table on Friday. Cookies and pies my mom made for the bake sale.
3. I have a wonderful family. I have some friends who go months (or years) without talking to members of their family. It makes me realize how lucky I am to have such a loving family who I get to talk to and see on a regular (or semi-regular) basis. I went "home" this past weekend for my niece Katie's high school graduation. My whole family didn't make it (if you have been reading my blog for a while, you know I have a huge family), but I enjoyed the time I got to spend with a portion of them.
My niece Katie- recent high school grad!
My nephews Jacob and James- they were once shorter than me!
My great-nephew Christian, or as I like to call him, the next "Monet".
My great-nephew Espen. He looks all sweet and innocent but he was trying to grab my iPhone! ;)
4. It's only June and I've already been to 10 Rangers games. Granted, they might not be doing as well as I wish they were (again, for better or for worse, I'm a Rangers fan for life), but we are still above .500 (for now at least). And there is talk about Jarrod Saltalamacchia returning from Triple A sometime this month. We miss you Salty!
Salty is on the left. I posted this picture for a certain friend who likes this card! ;) She should have bought it!
5. It's only 4 and a half more weeks until my next three day weekend (we get July 5th off work). That might seem like a long ways away, but hey, it's something to look forward to!
6. One of my friends gave me a gift card to Half Price Books for my birthday. This past weekend they were having a 20% sale for Memorial Day weekend. I got 7 movies and 4 books with that gift card, AND, I had $8 left over to spend another day. It's the little things in life that make me happy. : )
7. Albertson's has 1/2 gallon Blue Bell ice cream on sale for $2.98 this week. And this is another reason why my body isn't in "bathing suit" form. But you know what, I'd rather have my Blue Bell and be happy, than not have it and be really skinny! ;) For those of you who have never had Blue Bell ice cream, make it a point to check out their website and find the nearest location to you! :)