Friday, February 24, 2012

Boob Tube Babble: Lois and Clark

Boob Tube Babble


Neely's post today asked about our favorite show from the 90s and if we had a favorite couple. There are SO MANY shows to choose from, but I would have to say probably my favorite TV show of the 90s was Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

I remember this show came on Sunday nights at 7pm. I had church on Sunday nights so I had to set the VCR to record it. Oh yes boys and girls, back before there were DVRs and TIVO, you could set this device called a VCR and it would record your show. You just had to pray that you had enough room on the tape for the episode. And if you got home in the middle of the show, you had to wait until it was over to start watching it. I can't say I miss that! A DVR is so much better!

Do I have to put **spoiler alert** on a show that's almost 20 years old? Just to be safe **SPOILER ALERTS BELOW*** Anyways, I guess it goes without saying that my favorite couple on the show was Lois and Clark. Although they weren't always together. In fact in season one, Lois was going to marry Lex Luthor- I know, ew. And for a while Clark was dating this one gal named Mayson Drake (I NEVER liked her). I have to say that one of my favorite characters on the show was probably Jimmy Olsen though. Anyone else remember they changed actors after season 1?

Michael Landes- Jimmy Olsen in season 1
Justin Whalin- Jimmy Olsen 2.0.
I'm not sure if I could pick just one favorite episode, I have so many. I remember there was one where some scientist brought Bonnie and Clyde and Al Capone back to life, and Clark ended up "getting killed" trying to protect Lois. That was kind of the turning point in Lois and Clark's "relationship". It made her realize how she felt about him. I forget how they explained Clark's "coming back to life" though. But, I always thought it was a cute episode. :)

I remember the finale of season 2 (I think) had Clark proposing to Lois. He asked "Will you marry me?" and it ended with her starting to say something, then it cut off. We had to wait all summer for her answer. Her answer was "Who's asking- Clark or Superman?" Turns out the glasses didn't always fool her! So she had to see how she felt about Clark's "secret life" and if she wanted to deal with that, yadda yadda yadda. I know they eventually got engaged but it took them forever to actually get married. I honestly haven't watched the last season in a long time, but I remember there were some weird episodes (even a few that this die-hard fan didn't care for). But in the end, yes, they did get married. :) I think I might have a season 4 marathon soon, just to refresh my memory! ;)

I'm ashamed embarrassed proud to say I own all of the seasons (there were only 4) on DVD. Well, actually season four once belonged to a friend of mine, but after I borrowed it I told him season 4 would rather be with his family (season 1-3) so it was best that I keep it (he only owned season 4). Yes, that worked! ;) In fact, when that friend calls me, his ringtone is the Lois and Clark theme song. Yes, I know, I'm a nerd.
 
For your viewing pleasure, some links are below! Just click on the title!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the good ole days of Teri Hatcher before she went downhill with the Desperate Housewives... I too remember watching this on Sunday nights but cannot remember ANY of the details!

    ReplyDelete