Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Book Reviews 2017: Not In the Script

**All reviews on Randomness With Rachel are done on a five star rating system. The reviews are solely my opinion and no one else's. Randomness With Rachel does not receive any incentives or compensations for reviews.**

Not In The Script by Amy Finnegan


I'm such a sucker for teen drama (whether it be books or TV shows). It's the part of me that refuses to grow up, and I refuse to be ashamed about it. I'm not even sure what caused me to pick this book up at the library but the description of the novel had me sold and I checked it out. I read it in less than a day (well, I started it on a Saturday night and finished it Sunday afternoon).

The writing style was well done. Normally books that use the first person writing style for more than one character bothers me, but the author did it in such a way that it flowed perfectly. Yes, it's a teen drama- so ignore the comments that complain about the petty things the characters did or were bothered by. HELLO THEY ARE TEENAGERS- TEENAGERS CAN BE PETTY! But the teen angst wasn't overdone either (because that can get tiresome). It was a realistic amount of teen angst (if that makes sense).

I loved the characters of Emma and Jake. I think deep down everyone at one time wishes they were famous and lived a glamorous lifestyle. We get to see that through Emma's eyes (and we get to see how a new person to acting sees Hollywood through Jake's eyes). I liked that none of the characters were "perfect". They all had some kind of flaw.

I noticed the lack of foul language and "intimate details", which was refreshing for a teen novel. Nowadays it seems a lot of them are cluttered with sex and harsh language. It's nice to know I can recommend a romance book to a teenager that isn't full of bad words and sex. Call me a prude, I don't even care. Lol.

I kinda hope we see these characters again, perhaps older and maybe in a different setting. I would be interested to see where life takes them.

Book summary:


I finished this book on July 2, so it goes towards my 40 by 40 challenge.

XOXO!

0 XOXO's:

Post a Comment