Thursday, August 24, 2017

Book Reviews 2017: More YA Book Reviews

**All reviews on Randomness With Rachel are done on a five star rating system. The reviews are solely my opinion and no one else's. Randomness With Rachel does not receive any incentives or compensations for reviews.**

Lock and Mori by Heather W. Petty


Despite only a three star rating, I felt this book was an entertaining read, it just didn't have what it needed to bump it to four stars. I believe it could have been so much more. 

The book is a modern version of Sherlock Holmes where he and James "Mori" Moriarty are teenagers and friends. I feel there are more Sherlock themed books nowadays. Probably thanks to the popularity of the TV show. Anyways, Mori is a girl in this book, by the way- she goes by Mori because she doesn't like her birth name of James. 

The writing isn't bad, but there were parts that seemed a little slow and unnecessary, but it didn't totally ruin the book for me. The mystery part was interesting, but even in a YA novel, I feel it could have gone deeper. It seemed too simple and almost an insult to any young adult reading it, they could handle more depth in their mystery. I did like the main characters though and will try out the next book in the series. I look forward to their next adventure (and most likely, mystery).

Even When You Lie To Me by Jessica Alcott


I didn't love this book, but I also didn't hate it. It was an easy read, I pretty much read it in two days. It seems the whole teacher/student taboo attraction/love/lust is a popular story line in YA fiction these days. I don't know where all these good looking teachers were when I as in high school, but they definitely were not at my school. 

I feel this story had a lot of potential, but then it got too cliche. The main character lacks self-esteem and feels she is ugly. Side note: I know teenagers can be over-dramatic and I get that when reading YA, but OMG- this girl was "woe is me" every time she opened her mouth. Her BFF is beautiful and gets all the guys (because of course). Her mother, who was the beautiful, popular Homecoming Queen when she was younger, is unsympathetic and constantly trying to change her daughter (instead of accepting her individuality). And the father just seems to be walked over by his whole family (grow a pair, dude).

As you can imagine, there are "adult themes" talked about in this book, but the descriptions don't get too graphic.

I know this is the author's first book. I feel her writing potential is there so I would try another book if she publishes a new one.

I finished these books July 10 and July 20, respectively, so they go towards my 40 by 40 challenge.

XOXO!

0 XOXO's:

Post a Comment