Monday, January 26, 2015

Book Review 2015: Paper Towns

I mentioned recently that I joined a book club. Our first session is tomorrow and I'm super excited. Here is my review of our first book, Paper Towns by John Green.

**All reviews published on Randomness With Rachel are done on a five-star rating system. The reviews are solely my opinion and no one else's. Randomness With Rachel does not receive any incentives or compensations for reviews.**

Paper Towns by John Green


I'll admit that I didn't like this book as much as I liked The Fault In Our Stars (I went on an emotional roller coaster with that book). Paper Towns was overall a decent book, there were parts that I really liked, but there were also parts that I didn't particularly like.

The author divides the book into three parts. The first part I really enjoyed. We are introduced to Margo and Quentin, even given a little flashback to their childhood. Their night out on the town is a fun story and I like how it was written. I don't want to go too much into it because I don't want to spoil anything (and I'm too lazy to figure out how to put a spoiler code in my blog post). This is probably the only part of the story that I actually enjoyed reading about the Margo character. She got on my nerves as the story went on (I've been told I'm not the only person to feel that way).

The second part seemed to drag in some places (seriously, I don't want to read about another prom for a good while). It started out well and even a little exciting, but it kinda went downhill for a while. I did like the friendship between Quentin, Ben, and Radar. I almost wish there was more focus on them instead of Quentin and his Margo obsession. I get it, the kid thinks he loves this girl, but it almost got to be a little silly after a while with all the extremes he went to. But maybe that is just me though.

I have mixed feelings about the third part. Although the ending almost seemed a little anticlimactic, I think the right decision was made in the end (yeah, I know, that makes no sense not knowing the ending, but again, I don't know how to put a spoiler code in). I do like how John Green writes his characters (even if I didn't really care for Margo, she was well-written).

Despite not liking parts of this book, I would recommend it, especially if you are a John Green or YA fiction fan.

If you have read the book (or have no desire to read it) and want to know more of my thoughts on certain parts of the book, comment below or tweet me and I'll be happy to discuss it!

For some reason, I really liked this quote in the book...
XOXO!

3 comments:

  1. Hmm... I don't know if I'll read this one. I didn't LOVE TFIOS. John Green and I just don't click, apparently. Oh well. Have you read any by Rainbow Rowell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't care much for this one either. And I had such high hopes after reading "The Fault In Our Stars." I'll still probably pick up another of his books though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! My favorite character is Ben, he makes the book a little less serious.
    Please check out my review here....
    http://liveloveandlou.blogspot.com/2015/01/book-review-paper-towns-john-green.html

    ReplyDelete