Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I'm Back!

So, did ya miss me? ;) As you know, my friend Katie was in town visiting this past week, so we were out causing trouble seeing the town the past few days, and there was no time to blog (there was hardly time to sleep some of those days). I promise to blog about our adventures and misadventures later in the week (we had so much fun!!) Today I thought I would dedicate my post to the storms that hit Dallas last night.

As you know, I'm sort of a tornado junkie. I'm fascinated by them (I don't know why, and yes, I know I'm crazy). So yesterday evening when the tornado siren down the street went off (I could barely hear it, it's a few blocks away), the first thing I did was grab my camera and go outside. I wasn't the only one, a lot of my neighbors were out there too. It was kinda cool, met some of my neighbors I didn't know. It was very windy, but there weren't any funnel clouds. There were some amazing looking clouds though that I took some shots of (pictures below). I went back inside and was disappointed to see that WFAA had decided to air the stupid Dancing with the Stars finale instead of keeping us up to date on the very serious weather. I was forced to watch FOX 4 and NBC 5 for my weather alerts. For the record, if Greg Fields was in charge, HE would have interrupted the show. **getting off soap box**

About 9ish the tornado sirens went off again. This time the one right by my apartments went off. I decided to play it safe and headed to the bathtub to take cover. Mordecai and I had our tornado survival kit (which consisted of a flashlight, iPhone and Dr Pepper). My mattress wouldn't fit in the bathroom, so I had pulled the couch cushions in there (just in case we needed them). The rain/hail/winds were pretty loud, but after about 20 minutes it all died down and the sirens stopped. I am happy to report there was no damage at my apartment complex (or to my truck!) But the fence that runs down the street is now gone in some places.

I do appreciate everyone who texted and tweeted asking if I was okay. I feel loved! And no, I wasn't at the Rangers game (they had to evacuate fans underneath the stadium because it got so bad in Arlington). Some fans were moved just outside the locker room (I missed an opportunity to give my phone number to some of the players!) :)

This has been the CRAZIEST spring, I don't remember this many bad storms in years past. My thoughts and prayers are going out to those who have been affected by all the tornadoes and flooding!

Outside my bedroom window
Outside my bedroom window
Low clouds
More clouds
I thought this cloud had potential for a funnel, but I saw nothing

I thought the sun behind the clouds like this was so beautiful!
Storm moving closer
This is when it got really windy and there was more lightning and thunder, so I went inside
Mordecai was very brave while the tornado sirens were going off! 
Hope you all have a great day! XOXO!!

6 comments:

  1. Glad you are safe! In this part of NC, we don't have tornado sirens...that I know of. I kind of wish they did because I never know with the alerts if we really need to be concerned or not! I live in a large county (geographically speaking) and I'm right on the county border...so for me, sometimes it's hard to decide what to do!

    On the other hand, we very rarely see the kind of storms y'all do...but there's been some big ones here this year too! One took out a Lowe's Home Improvement about 2 hours from here!

    Can't wait to hear about your adventures with Katie...so, when are you planning your trip to NC??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you please come live with me in AZ so we all don't have to worry about you so much? Seriously. I do not like how many storm warnings you have had lately. My hubby and I were talking yesterday about how it feels like there are so many more storms lately that we have heard of. So sad and so happy you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are ok and I LOVE the pics! Stay safe! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are okay... hopefully no more storms for you.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was wonderful to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that your teddy bear is named Mordecai!

    ReplyDelete