Monday, March 24, 2014

Mobile Monday!


Like I mentioned last week, I had to go out of town on business last week. I left Wednesday morning and returned yesterday afternoon. I really wish I had taken today off work, I'm exhausted! I thought I would post some pictures of my trip to Des Moines. 

As some of you know, I'm not a huge fan of flying. I got to the airport probably about an hour and a half before my flight was supposed to take off (I know SOME people like to make fun of me for that). ;) I was flying American Eagle and the plane was really small (I don't know the type. It had 18 rows, with two seats on one side and only one seat on the other side). When I booked my flight I was supposed to be in seat 5B, which was near the front. I guess since the flight wasn't completely full, they had to move people around to "balance" the plane out, so I got moved from 5B to 18A. Yeah, the last row. I wasn't happy (I mean, if they had moved me a few seats back, I would have been okay, but all the way to the back? Come on). I'm not a fan of sitting in the back, but oh well. I didn't cause a scene (okay, I sent American Airlines a bitter tweet, but that was all). I had a seat to myself and the row across the aisle from me was empty too, so that was nice. 

This was right behind my seat. I was tempted to call the pilot, but I figured that was probably some federal offense, and who has time for that?
The view behind me and out my window
Leaving Dallas. I think that big building is the Great Wolf Lodge.
This was my reaction to the kid in front of me playing some video game with the volume turned up and no headphones in it.
The flight went okay. About 25 minutes before our landing, I had the worst pain in my ears, it was like my head was being squeezed. I've had ear problems my whole life so I'm not surprised, but this was the worst out of all my flying experiences. Another co-worker of mine was on the same flight (the rest of our team flew out earlier that day), so she and I took a rental car to the hotel from the airport. I had about three hours to kill before the team met for dinner, so I was lazy and got caught up on social media while chilling in my hotel room. Oh, and I found a Boy Meets World marathon on TV (score!)

This bed was so comfortable. I'm so glad my company gives us our own rooms when we travel.
View out my window, I was on the 30th floor.
My team went to this restaurant called Centro's for dinner. It was really nice. I ordered a rib eye (I know, you are shocked that I ate steak). It was okay (not the best rib eye I've ever had, but it wasn't too bad). I ate SO MUCH that night. I even tried calamari for the first time (it was okay, but I don't see me just ordering it on my own anytime soon). 

Steak... :)
I won't bore you with all the details of the convention (mainly because I'm not at liberty to). :)

Thursday night my team didn't need to work, so I was able to meet up with my sweet friend Micah (check out her blog here). Micah and I originally met through Twitter, than started following each other's blogs. We met up in person two years ago at a Rangers game, but hadn't seen each other since then. It was so good to catch up in person! :) Micah drove me by the minor league baseball stadium that is in Des Moines (they are a Cubs affiliate). We then went to an awesome burger place called Zombie Burger for dinner (they had good cheese fries). After that we went to el Bait Shop to watch some March Madness and have after dinner refreshments.


Principal Park, home of the Iowa Cubs
Me and the lovely Micah!
Friday was a super long day, we didn't get back to the hotel until after 11. It was a short night because Saturday morning I had to be at the convention by 7am. But I was able to catch a beautiful sunrise while on my walk! :)

This was taken from inside a walkway, so ignore the dirty window. :) Downtown Des Moines has a covered skywalk that connects hotels, parking garages, and other businesses. It's nice because we didn't have to walk out in the cold. I wish Dallas would make something like this- it would be nice during the summer months! 
I noticed a picture of Elvis at the location of our convention. :) 
On our last night, my team and I had a wonderful dinner together. I'm so glad I got to meet these people, we all work in different departments, so I didn't know them before this past week.
My wonderful team!
So we went all the way to Iowa and we had Mexican food (I know, it doesn't make sense to me either). I noticed this on the menu (look at yellow box). It made me a little nervous. I asked our waiter what it was, turns out that is a kind of cheese. I told him in Texas, we just list it as cheese.
I was once again at the airport an hour and a half before my flight (most of my team was flying back together, so we all rode the shuttle from the hotel to the airport). And then this happened to me going through security....
The same thing happened to me when I left Boston last year. Seems states up north like profiling Rangers fans... Lol. 
The flight back was painless (and they kept me in the seat I had originally selected). It was nice to get back home and to a little warmer temperatures!! :)

Flying over Texas, or as I call it, God's Country. :)
I'm very excited about temperatures being in the 70s later this week!
So, quick update on my 101 in 1001 list:

#9- Now in progress since I went to Iowa, only four more states to go!
#37- I can completely cross off! YAY!!!

Hope everyone has a great day!

XOXO!

4 comments:

  1. He just told you it was a kind of cheese. LOL Sounds like a great time meeting everyone and nice meals - all in all, pretty good - except for the flight with the annoying kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad we got to hang out. Hope you enjoyed my city. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun trip! I'm jealous you got to hang out with Micah! And omg-- isn't having a hotel room to yourself the best thing ever?? LOVE.

    ReplyDelete