Sunday, October 18, 2009

Being still....

For the first time in I don’t know how long, it’s Sunday night and I’m not asking myself “where did my weekend go?” I’m not saying I’m necessarily thrilled tomorrow is Monday and I have to go back to work (but let’s be honest, no one looks forward to Mondays). But, I actually woke up this morning feeling well rested, something I haven’t felt in a while.

I got up at an ungodly hour on Saturday and started cleaning, although it was not my intention to get up that early. For unknown reasons, someone thought it was a good idea for the garbage trucks to empty the dumpsters at my apartment complex at 6 a.m. on a weekend. After lying in bed for over an hour trying to get back to sleep, I realized it was a lost cause and got up to start my cleaning frenzy (which, by the way, my apartment looks great. I even cleaned and organized my pantry- I was a mad woman!) :)

Before the start of the Texas/OU game (Hook 'Em Horns, by the way), I was on Facebook and noticed my nephew Danny’s status was that he was trying to find the Texas game online to watch. As some of you know, my nephew is a missionary in Finland, he just moved there in June. (For anyone who isn’t familiar with my family, this nephew is 28). There is a program called Skype that allows you to make phone calls/video calls on your computer, so I called him. Since he was running a video program to watch the game, we just used the phone call portion of the program. It was so cool. I was talking to my nephew, who was watching the same football game as I was, but he was halfway around the world. I still had cleaning to do, so I moved my laptop around as I did the dishes and cleaned my living room. We talked for four hours. We hadn’t talked since July so it was great to hear his voice. I have missed my chats with him, so I have no doubt it was a God thing that I was home watching the game and was able to talk to him. If I had gone out, I would have missed that chance.

After Saturday night church services, I went to a party at my friend’s new house. It was a lot of fun to just spend time with some of my wonderful friends that God has blessed me with. They helped me forget about my bad week by just being their typical goofy, loveable selves. It was awesome. I definitely needed that time.

Like I said earlier, I woke up feeling very refreshed this morning. For as long as I can remember, I go through “fits” of having sleeping issues (going back as far as high school). Sometimes I’ll wake up and I’m not able to get back to sleep. Other times I’ll wake up every hour or two, but eventually fall back asleep. For the first time in I don’t know how long, I think I slept 8 hours without waking up. I got up and went grocery shopping (so that is out of the way for the week). I made it in and out of the Duncanville Kroger in 30 minutes, which is a miracle in itself!

I had a very relaxing afternoon. I watched a Cary Grant movie I had never seen before (The Awful Truth) as well as Double Indemnity, starring Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck. I’ll never be able to watch My Three Sons or Christmas in Connecticut the same way again after seeing those two play “bad guys”. :) For those of you who aren’t fans of the classics, in Double Indemnity, those two plot to kill someone (I’m not spoiling anything, it’s written in the description of the movie). I had never seen those actors in that kind of role before, it was almost like watching Dick Van Dyke be the killer in an episode of Columbo! Nevertheless, it was a good movie!

I did learn some things this weekend by “being still”. I had more than one friend message me this weekend asking if I was being still and listening. :) It’s amazing the things God will show you when you give Him the time. I think I might do more of these “me time” weekends in the future. They are really a blessing.

I hope everyone has a great week. Be blessed!

0 XOXO's:

Post a Comment