Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A post for Marta...

I don't know about you, but sometimes I just don't want to be at work (I know, you are shocked, I'm sure I'm the only one who ever feels like that!) Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my job. I work for a great company and have made some wonderful friends here. But there are some days I just would rather not be here. Like today. One: I'm not feeling all that great. I've had a cough for the past few days (it's more annoying than anything) and I am just exhausted (although that is probably because I went to a sneak preview of a new movie last night and didn't get home until late. Shout out to Monica for the free passes and Antonio for buying our refreshments at Studio Movie Grill.) :) Second: it is absolutely GORGEOUS outside today. The sun is shining, there are no clouds and it's almost 80 degrees. **sigh** Can adults have a skip day? Remember those in school? When you didn't want to be in class so you just left? Wait-not that I EVER did that. I just heard about them!

I do have a point. Bear with me. So while I was having my little "pity party" today about not wanting to be at work, I passed by one of our housekeeping staff in the hallway. I smiled and said hello and continued walking. On the way back to my desk, something stopped me. I realized, I've said hi to this person for the past two years and I don't know her name. So I asked her. Her name is Marta.

Now I'm not telling this story so you will go, "oh, what a great person you are. You asked her name." That is not my point at all. But it got me thinking. How many "Martas" do you pass by every day? Someone who might be "taken for granted" but in reality has a very important contribution to your company/school or just your every day life. I don't know about you, but I personally would not want to clean for a living. Especially public bathrooms. I don't like cleaning my bathroom. But you know what, every day that I see Marta she is cheerful and smiling. EVERY DAY. I'm sure she is on her feet most of the day. I work in a big building. I know there is constant cleaning going on. I'm sure there are days she's not feeling 100% and would rather be home (or she would rather be outside enjoying the sunshine), but she is here, smiling and working hard.

Most of my work day I'm in my corner office (okay, so it's a corner cubicle, but it's a big cubicle and I'm right by a bunch of windows), sitting at a desk (unless I'm on the warpath tracking down someone who is late on a project and is ignoring my emails/voicemails) listening to music on Pandora. During my lunch break, I can play games on my iPhone, check up on my favorite sports teams on ESPN, update my blog, or laugh at pictures uploaded to People of Wal-mart dot com (if you need a laugh and want to check it out, click here).

Looking at it like that, it definitely made me rethink my pity party today.

I would like to say thanks to all the "Martas" out there for all they do. We appreciate all your hard work!! Now, I'm not saying you need to go out and ask every stranger their name, but a simple, "hello", "thank you" or even a smile can go a long way. Just something to think about as you go out today.

Be blessed!

0 XOXO's:

Post a Comment