Friday, December 29, 2017

A Very Rachel Christmas

As promised, a recap of my Christmas adventures. I didn't take as many photos as I usually do- only a small portion of my family was actually present on Christmas Day, although I got to see other family members at my nephew's wedding last weekend (you can see photos I posted yesterday here.) Yes, everyone in the wedding photos is related to me (whether they want to admit it or not). :)

This Christmas I made a lot of my gifts. I can't post photos of all of them because some of my friends haven't received their gifts yet but I can post photos of two of the gifts I made for my mom. 

I took an old bowling pin and made this snowman for her.


A lot of people have asked how I ended up with a bowling pin. Well, it was actually a gift from the White Elephant gift exchange at my Sunday School Christmas party a few weeks ago. When I saw it, I figured I could make some kind of craft from it, so I took it.

This is what I started with- as you can tell it was cracked from the beginning, even paint wouldn't cover it (but that's okay)
I used about 3 coats of white spray paint, letting each coat dry before I applied the next one. I sprayed outside on my balcony- I used the lid of a box to keep the spray paint from going everywhere
I used hot glue for the buttons
I used a black permanent marker for the eyes and mouth and orange paint for the nose (technically it was red and yellow paint mixed together because I didn't have any orange paint). I had an old pair of toe socks with a hole in one of the soles. I had planned to turn them into rags, but I realized they worked perfectly for the hat and scarf, so I used them for that instead. I used some twine to make the hat stick out some
She loved it! She put it with her other snowmen decorations.


I also made her this display for all the birthdays in our immediate family (that's 43 people, in case you were wondering). :) I used a photo frame from Michael's that already had the wire and clothespins. I just printed out the months and names and used stock paper and stickers for the rest of it.


I went home last Wednesday and got there just in time to go see It's A Wonderful Life in the movie theater with my sister (see post from yesterday). I spent last Thursday with my folks watching Hallmark Christmas movies with my mom (while my dad made snarky comments, lol). Usually I help my folks decorate their tree when I'm home at Thanksgiving, but since it fell early this year, they hadn't bought a tree yet. My mother complained there weren't enough lights. I think their tree was beautiful.

My great-nephew C cut down this tree for his GiGi and Pawpaw
The angel ornament on their tree. :)
This little tree has ornaments from the high schools and colleges that my folks children and grandchildren have attended. 
We had to drive to Houston for my nephew's wedding that Friday afternoon (we had to be at the rehearsal that evening) and that's where we were until Christmas Eve morning. We got up early so I could drive them to the town where they live so my dad could preach his Christmas Eve sermon. That evening we went to a party hosted by my nephew-in-law's grandfather, Mr. Koppa. This dear man has invited my folks and I into his home the last seven years on Christmas Eve to join their annual family party. He has welcomed us as adopted extended family. Each year after we eat, Mr. Koppa always reads "The Night Before Christmas" to the little kids (it used to be his grandchildren he read to, now it's his great-grandchildren he's reading to.) Then the kids can open one present from "the reindeer". Since there were children of people I don't know in the photos I took, I can't post a cute group shot I got of Mr. Koppa reading to the kids (I don't want to use their photo without permission). But I can post photos of the people I know and have permission to use. :)

My niece Alice and her son C 
My friend Nick (his grandfather is Mr. Koppa). I hadn't seen him in a while- we had to catch up on the books we've been reading!
Mr. Koppa, he's so sweet. Love him!
My niece's other son E
I didn't get a chance to buy my dad a fruitcake this year, but I did bring him an apple pie from Norma's Cafe (he loves their pie). I noticed he didn't tell anyone else it he had it, I think he wanted it all for himself. :)


Christmas morning it was just me and my folks at their house (meaning we didn't have to get up super early with little kids). My folks gave me a nice new One Year Bible and journal. Over the last 29 years, they have given me a new One Year Bible at Christmas- I love it. It's the gift that keeps giving, I'll never outgrow it and it will never go out of style. 




Late Christmas morning my brother Steve arrived at my folks with his youngest J (he has two grown children and another little one- who wasn't feeling well so he stayed home with my sister-in-law). At Thanksgiving this nephew refused to take a photo with me, but he agreed to on Christmas Day (it was a Christmas miracle). :)


My folks and I are very festive
After eating Christmas fajitas at my sister's house (she lives next door to my folks), we watched A Christmas Carol (the George C. Scott version) and that evening we sang Christmas carols around my sister's piano. 

My brother-in-law cooking the fajitas. 
C wasn't feeling well Christmas night, so he snuggled up next to me while we were singing Christmas carols
Like I said a few weeks ago, I won an Instax Mini camera at my company Christmas party earlier this month, so I took some photos with that. My little great-nephews had never seen one before. They were amazed watching the film develop right before their eyes. I told them when I was little, we used to have a camera like that one (they only know digital photos and camera phone photos). I let my mom keep the actual photos (since she claims we never send her any photos), but I did snap pictures of them first. :)


It was a wonderful Christmas- quiet, but memorable. I hope no matter what you celebrated, you had a wonderful day as well! In case I don't get my 2017 recap post up tomorrow, I want to wish you and your loved ones a Happy New Year! Much love!

XOXO!

0 XOXO's:

Post a Comment