Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Book Reviews 2017: Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M.: Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and the Dawn of the Modern Woman

**All reviews on Randomness With Rachel are done on a five-star rating system. The reviews are solely my opinion and no one else's. Randomness With Rachel does not receive any incentives or compensations for reviews.**

Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M.: Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and the Dawn of the Modern Woman by Sam Wasson


Who doesn't love Audrey Hepburn? A friend gave me this book because Audrey is my favorite actress of all time and I adore the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's. I've read Truman Capote's book, so I knew his Holly Golightly and the Holly Golightly of the movie were NOT the same. I also knew about all the other differences between the book and the movie. I did find some of the history about the creation of the book and the making of the movie fascinating. It was interesting to see who else they wanted to star in the movie.

Also (I don't think this is really a "spoiler" so I don't think I need to warn you), I was a little sad to hear that Audrey didn't really care for George Peppard (he wasn't a popular person on set with really anyone). It was interesting to hear how the movie could have been so different. The author talked about scenes that were cut or re-written. I wish the alternate ending was somewhere on film (the author said no one knows for sure if the film survived from the cutting room floor). Although in my opinion, I like the actual ending of the movie better. No, I won't tell you what the alternate ending was going to be, you have to read the book. :) 

I didn't realize that Audrey had as many miscarriages as she did. He doesn't go too much into detail about Audrey's personal life (sadly), but he does provide tidbits here and there. He did write a little bit about her slightly troubled marriage to Mel Ferrer.

At the end the author talks about why he wrote the book. Why do people love this movie? It got me wondering why I love it- my answer is because of Audrey. I don't think the movie would have worked with anyone else. Is it the best love story out there? No, not at all. But no matter what, I will always find time to watch it when I'm wanting to have an Audrey marathon.

Oh, at the end of the book after all of the author's notes and references, he talks about his personal conversation with actress Patricia Neal- well worth the read. She seems like she was a hoot! :)

I finished this book on September 15, so it goes towards my 40 by 40 challenge.

XOXO!

0 XOXO's:

Post a Comment