Friday, October 25, 2013

My So-Called Life...

It's hard to believe that this time next week it will be NOVEMBER. Seriously, where did 2013 go? It seems like only yesterday I was moving and excited about getting settled into my new apartment. The saying about time speeding up as you get older is true (I don't like it, I really wish time would slow down some).

Anyways, I'm sure it's no surprise to any of you that I've been staying busy. I had actually taken a few days off work this week to just stay home and relax, and I ended up getting sick late Sunday night, so I pretty much stayed in bed for two days with a migraine headache. Well, I guess that is ONE way to get me to slow down, but it wasn't quite the time off I was wanting.
October has been a crazy busy month. Sadly it did NOT include Rangers playoff baseball like I had hoped, but I had other things to keep me busy. I went to two weddings for some dear friends of mine. My friend Forrest and I have known each other for over twenty years, and my friend Jonathan and I have been friends since college. Not sure what these people were thinking planning their weddings during college football season. ;) No comment if I checked my Sportscenter app for scores during the weddings. :) It was cool that at both weddings I ran into friends I hadn't seen in years. It was fun times! Congrats to both couples! :)
I missed the State Fair of Texas last year so I made sure to make a trip out there this year. I went on a beautiful day, it was sunny and in the high 60s (maybe low 70s). I also went on a weekday, so it wasn't as crowded. I wanted to get out there to see the new Big Tex. Some of you might remember Big Tex burned last year (it was a sad, sad day).
The new Big Tex. He just wasn't the same.
They had a Big Tex memorial set up (no lie, people could actually leave a note for Big Tex). It was kind of cool to see the history of Big Tex. He started out as this creepy looking Santa. The only thing that survived the fire was his belt buckle. They had one of the original heads and hats in there too. There was also a video on the making of the new Big Tex. 

As you can tell, I got a little emotional at the memorial site. (For those who don't know me, I'm totally kidding.) ;)
I didn't take as many pictures as I usually do, but I did get some in the arts and craft arena. That is where they have the butter sculpture. Every year they have something sculpted out of butter. Yeah, I don't know why, but it's a big deal.

Butter sculpture is in the top right corner. They used over two tons of butter to make it. I personally wanted to steal the Rangers wreath (top left). I bet that idea came from Pinterest!
The Superman 75th Anniversary Costume Tour made a stop at our state fair. It featured Superman costumes worn during various Superman movies and TV shows. We got there right as they were packing it up, but the guy was nice enough to bring the photo of Dean Cain back out to the Lois and Clark exhibit As you know, I loved that show, and Dean Cain.

 
My friend B is another Lois and Clark fan (when he calls me, it's the Lois and Clark theme song. Yes, I'm a nerd). He had to keep me from taking the Dean Cain photo. And the suit. :)
We stayed until 10:00, which was the first time that I can remember staying at the fair until closing. The light show they had set up was really pretty, sadly my cell phone camera doesn't do it justice, but it was still cool. Even though we didn't ride the Texas Star (Ferris wheel) this year, I did snap a few pictures of it.
This past weekend my friend Mel and I made the drive to Ennis (about 40 miles south of Dallas) for a Dukes of Hazzard Cast Reunion (don't judge). It was a two day event, but we only made the Sunday portion of it. Sadly the guy who played Bo Duke was only there on Saturday, so we missed out on meeting him. BUT, it will happen one day, mark my word (Bo was my favorite). We met Tom Wopat in 2007 (Luke Duke), but we got another picture with him anyways. We also met Catherine Bach (Daisy Duke). She was super sweet. She kept telling me she liked my Cowboys shirt. She made small talk with everyone and didn't seem to rush people away. They said the day before the reunion closed at 5, but she stayed until 7 so that everyone in line could get an autograph and picture. We also met Rick Hurst, who played Cletus. He was funny. Mel and I were just gonna do a picture with him together, but he insisted on taking individual ones too. We didn't get our picture with him, but Sonny Shroyer, who played Enos, talked to us for a brief moment. And we got to see James Best (Rosco P. Coltrane). It cost $50 to get a picture with him, so we passed. I tried to snap a picture of him but he was looking down. And, we got to sit behind the wheel of the General Lee (well, one of them). It was a fun day.
Top left is Enos and bottom middle is Roscoe, who is looking down.

I have one more big event this month- the Jason Aldean concert tomorrow night! I'm so excited, it feels like we got the tickets forever ago. It should be a lot of fun. Yes, I'll post pictures (with the way I'm updating my blog, it will probably be NEXT year before I recap it). ;) I'll leave you today with a little Jason Aldean. HAPPY FRIDAY!! XOXO!

1 comment:

  1. Is this Big Tex memorial permanent?
    I know Route 66 passes way north of that area but this reminds of the Route 66 museum I've been to.

    ReplyDelete