Sunday, June 10, 2012

Blog Challenge 2012- Days 7, 8, 9 & 10

I keep putting these off, sorry y'all. Here we go, catch up time. 

Day 7: What is your dream job, and why?

I'm not even sure I have a dream job anymore. I went to college to be a journalist (which I was, for a while). I love to write. I wish I could be a writer, but I'm not sure I have the dedication in me.

Day 8: What are 5 passions you have?

Seriously, who thought of these questions?? Anyways, I could go all serious with this question but I think I'll be silly, I'm not in a serious mood today.

1. Sports (I know, you are shocked)
2. Classic movies (Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart)
3. Chick Fil-A (I could eat it every day, no really, I could).
4. Dr Pepper (I'm a Pepper!)
5. Blue Bell ice cream (it's SO GOOD). 

Day 9: List 10 people who have influenced you and how.

I'm just going to say my family (there are more than 10 people in that, but I'm too lazy to type individual names). I am so fortunate to be a part of a loving, supportive, God-fearing family. No matter what is going on in my life, I have someone to turn to, laugh with, cry with, or pray with.

Day 10: Describe your most embarrassing moment.

I guess mine would have to be the time in college when I got a concussion and cracked my tailbone, all in the same move (oh yes, I'm that talented). My college friends never seem to get tired of this story. A little background: I went to a small Christian college and the rules of the dorms were that members of the opposite sex were not allowed past the lobby. Now, every so often, the dorms would have "An Open Dorm". Guys could come visit the girls in their dorm rooms, and vice versa. Visitors had to sign in with a picture ID in the lobby (no, I'm not kidding). And, our doors had to be left open. Oh, I'm very serious. This is a key part to my story.

One night during an Open Dorm, my roommate and I had about 8 or 9 friends hanging out in our room. Important side note: Our dorm doors were what I call "fire doors", so we had to use a chair to prop it open. We had a chair in the middle of the doorway to keep it from closing. At some point during the evening, our R.A. said we had to have an emergency meeting in the hallway. My roommate left the room first while I told our friends to stay put, we would be right back. My roommate yelled at me to grab a pen because we had to fill out forms, so, in my attempt to hurry and get out to the hall, I thought, I'm just going to jump over the chair. Yeah, I jumped a little too high, hitting my head on the doorframe. On the way back down, I hit the chair, which slid out from under me, causing me to land straight on my butt on the floor. Everyone laughed at first, because I suppose it looked a little funny. Then, they realized I wasn't moving. My boyfriend ran over to check on me, and according to him, some "un-Rachel like" words came out of my mouth. (Sorry mom!) THAT is when he realized something was very wrong.

At first they were more worried about me having a concussion since I hit my head pretty hard. So, my roommate and boyfriend drove me to the E.R. After a CAT Scan and an X-ray, they realized I not only had a concussion, but a cracked tailbone as well. For anyone who has had a cracked tailbone, you know there is NOTHING that can be done. Except heavy duty pain killers and a donut pillow to sit on (we aren't going to talk about that stupid pillow though).

So, that night my poor roommate had to wake me up every two hours and ask me three questions. The doctor said if I hesitated at any question, I had to come back in. Needless to say, on a small campus such as mine, word got out what had happened. The vice president of the school even called to check on me. I'm still a legend to this day in that dorm. I hear whenever there is an open dorm, that story comes up. Beautiful. That is just how I wanted to be remembered!

Hope everyone has had a great weekend! I hope to post my pictures from the Tim McGraw/Kenny Chesney concert some point this week!!

XOXO!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a story! And it was painful for a long, long, long time, wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 10, 2012

    Ooo, Aunt Rachel had a boyfriend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG-- that's a hilarious story. I mean since you've recovered and all, I can laugh about it now. :) And for the record, not getting a concussion because I have banged my head on the top of a door frame is going on my list as one of the perks of being small. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of these blog topics are hard to write about, I'm finding. I might be quitting the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh mylanta, that is quite the story- I love it! I have one thayt is quite embarrassing myself that has to do with being stuck in the mud;-)And I love that your dream job is writing- you definitely write well!

    ReplyDelete