Thursday, January 21, 2010

Remembering Audrey...May 4, 1929 – January 20, 1993

I meant to post this yesterday, but I didn't get home from work until almost 8. And before I knew it, I got sucked into Criminal Minds and CSI: NY (we'll discuss my unhealthy obsession with crime shows another day). And after that, I was too tired to turn on my laptop.

Anyways, yesterday marked the 17th anniversary of the death of the wonderful, beautiful and talented Audrey Hepburn.


In case you haven't taken a good look at my blog or sidebar information, I'm a huge Audrey Hepburn fan. She is one of the few actresses I can think of and honestly say "she never made a bad movie". At least in my personal opinion. I love a lot of classic movies, but I have to say her movies are some of my favorites. When I went to IMDB (dot) com to look up her movies, I was shocked that she wasn't in more. I mean 31 movies is a lot, don't get me wrong, but for a classy actress such as herself, I would have thought she was in a lot more.


If you have never seen an Audrey Hepburn movie, I truly recommend checking one out, even if you don't like anything made before 1975 (you know who you are!) And for all of my black-and-white-movie-aphobic friends, most of her movies are in color, so you can't use that as an excuse!! And you KNOW who you are!! :) I'm not known for being a fan of "chick flicks", but Audrey movies are definitely my exception to the rule! :)

I've decided to list some of my favorite Audrey movies (in no particular order because I honestly couldn't put them in a "favorite" order).

Breakfast At Tiffany's: (also starring George Peppard, for all my A-Team friends, okay, that's just one of you I think, aka, John "Hannibal" Smith).

 


Besides My Fair Lady, this is one of the first Audrey movies I remember seeing. When I went to New York City a few years ago, I made my friend take a picture of me outside Tiffany and Co eating a donut (get it, I was having breakfast at Tiffany's). :)

Me in front of Tiffany and Co in 2007

Roman Holiday: (also starring the very talented Gregory Peck, aka, Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird, Captain Ahab in Moby Dick, or Robert Thorn in the 1976 version of The Omen). This has some romance, some action and some comedy all together in one movie. Did I mention it also had Gregory Peck in it? He is excellent in this movie!



Charade: (also starring the wonderful Cary Grant. I just have to say his name. I think that says it all). If you like suspense, this is a good one!



Wait Until Dark: Now, this is a movie that is full of suspense. Even some of my "classic-movie-aphobic" friends have enjoyed this one. Side note: best to watch at night..with the lights off. Trust me. Makes it 10 times better. I think this is possibly one of her best performance.



Sabrina: Oh yes, before the 1995 Harrison Ford version, there was with one starring Audrey, William Holden (from Sunset Blvd) and Humphrey Bogart.

Funny Face: (with Fred Astaire, you can bet there will be dancing in it!)

How To Steal A Million: (also starring Peter O'Toole). This one is great. Comedy, and of course, romance!

Paris When It Sizzles: (once again with William Holden. I won't mention that the two had a real life affair before making this movie-shhh). This one is great. I just happened to see it on Turner Classic Movies one day a few years ago. I had never even heard of it. I loved it!

The Children's Hour: okay, not really one of my favorite movies, it's very "un-Audrey" like if you ask me. Worth seeing though, the ending is surprising (remember this movie was made back in the 1960s!!)

Again, check these out if you would like. I think you might be pleasantly surprised. And if you know me personally, I have a lot of these on DVD. I'm always up for an Audrey marathon if you want to check them out!! :)

Audrey has an amazing story. I don't have time to put it all here (because I've rambled long enough), but I recommend checking out some of the sites below. "She dedicated her last five years to humanitarian work, traveling throughout the developing world on behalf of UNICEF and presenting to the rest of the world a provocative vision of children in pain, struggling to survive, or just fighting for basic human rights." More information on that can be found on her website below.

For Audrey's site, click here

For Wikipedia's information, click here:

"I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person." - Audrey Hepburn

"Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come... The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future." - Audrey Hepburn

0 XOXO's:

Post a Comment