Sunday, July 7, 2019

A Very YOLO Trip: Detroit

I know, I'm horrible. Yes, I'm STILL recapping my 2018 trips. **insert face palm emoji**. Yes, I've already taken a trip in 2019. I've had A LOT of people giving me guilt trips lately about letting my blog updating slide, so here I sit trying to at least wrap up my 2018 road trips. Here's hoping I'll get my 2019 trip recapped by 2020. Lol.

Okay, so the last time I updated we were in Toronto. I know it's been a little while (five months), so here is the last post I wrote if you want a recap

We left Toronto on a Monday morning to make the four hour drive to Detroit for the Tigers game that night. I'll spare the details of how we made a quick stop in a small Canadian town and the gas station restroom looked like something straight out of a horror film. I honestly don't think customers were supposed to be back there but the guy at the register took pity on us and let us use it. I swear I'm a 48 Hours episode waiting to happen. "After posting that she was leaving Toronto to head towards Detroit, she was never heard from again. Her cell phone last pinged in the small town of **insert the name of the town that I have now forgotten because this was 14 months ago**. 


I may have been humming America the Beautiful as we crossed back over into the United States (I don't really remember). We had to explain at the border why we were from Texas but were driving a car with a Pennsylvania licence plate (because the rental car we got in Baltimore had PA plates). The border patrol agent was pretty excited when she found out we had been traveling to see baseball games (she was also a fan- female sports fans unite!)  


I'm not going to lie, Detroit isn't the prettiest city, BUT I loved Comerica Park. So many people put it down, but I really enjoyed the ballpark experience there. I loved the design of the outside of the park.


Random side note (that has nothing to do with Comerica Park, but it does have something to do with the Tigers so I'm going to mention it): When I was a kid, there was a Disney Channel movie called Tiger Town that I absolutely LOVED (because it was about baseball and my baseball obsession started early in my life). I remember watching this movie when I was like 5. It starred Roy Scheider (from Jaws) and Justin Henry (the little brother in 16 Candles). The movie was filmed in Detroit and a lot of scenes were filmed at Tiger Stadium (which sadly was demolished after the Tigers moved to Comerica Park). Scheider plays an aging Tigers player named Billy Young who is on the verge of retirement. His dream of playing in the World Series is fading (because the Tigers aren't doing well and he has lost his ability to hit the ball). Billy is the favorite player of Alex (played by Henry). I could type out the rest of the plot but I'm lazy, so you can just read the Wikipedia recap here. It's not available for purchase, but I just checked YouTube and a copy is available here. I will be watching it after I finish this post. Aw, memories. Lol.


Okay, so sorry for getting sidetracked. For those who know me, it's not unusual for that to happen. :) ANYWAY- back to 2018 and Comerica Park. I loved it. Don't @ me. The concourse area was great- they have a carousel AND Ferris Wheel. We found Mickey, a baseball fountain, a giant bobblehead, and I got to sit on the Triple Crown throne. :)


Before the game, we walked around the whole ballpark (because we were not able to get there in time for a tour). They had a lot of statues just beyond the outfield (if you know me, I'm a big fan of statues). I liked the open concourse (which allowed you to see the field as you walked around).


They had a lot of food choices but if you know me, you know I'm NOT a huge foodie- I stick to "normal" foods when I go to baseball games. So, I'm sorry to disappoint if you were wanting some great food recommendation at Comerica Park. Oh, and yes, the Tigers give you a lid AND a straw with your souvenir drink. I don't know what the Rangers deal is by not giving us lids and straws with our drinks. The majority of the ballparks I've visited give you at least a straw. Sigh. Maybe in the new ballpark.

I don't know why the cup looks so tiny in this photo- it's a normal size souvenir cup
We had great seats for the game. We once again got to see the Rays play on the road. If you remember WAY BACK to last July when I first started this trip update (this is so embarrassing that it's taking me a year to recap this trip), we saw the Ray play the Orioles in Baltimore. If you would like a refresher, here is that post.



Obligatory selfie from our seats

We actually saw a pretty good game (if you like a pitching duel). The game was scoreless going into the 9th. The Rays scored three in the top of the inning and despite a good attempt by the Tigers in the bottom of the 9th, they came up short and lost the game 3-2. The Rays also won the game against the Orioles so evidently we are good luck for them.

This game was in April, and the temperatures got a little too cool for this Texas girl (okay, it was like 70 BUT BREEZY), so I had to put on my Rangers light jacket during the game. Fun tidbit- we ran into other Rangers fans as we were leaving. They had noticed my jacket during the game and they happened to bump into us outside afterward. They were excited to find fellow fans.


Like I said, I really enjoyed my time there. I would definitely go back. BUT next time I'll be sure not to get lost. We possibly made a wrong tour leaving the ballpark (there was construction and the detour signs were not well marked and our GPS freaked out and we ended up going the wrong way). We also ended up in a part of Detroit no one really needed to be in at night. We possibly made some illegal turns, but you know what, we didn't care. Lol. We finally got back to our hotel safe and sound (obviously, since I'm here a year later talking about it).

Okay, I have ONE MORE POST for this trip, and then my recap of A Very YOLO Trip 2018 will be DONE. It's late so I will post that tomorrow. At least I hope I will post tomorrow. Or maybe in five months, who knows? Lol. And I have two more trips from 2018 to recap after that. Sigh. I guess traveling has gotten in my way of blog updating. As always if you made it this far, thank you for reading. Much love!!

0 XOXO's:

Post a Comment