Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Just Be Nice

I know, I know. I haven't updated my blog in over two months. You should know by now this is probably going to happen with me.

Sometimes thoughts are jumbled in my head and I'm not sure what to do with them. My therapist tells me I need to find an outlet and let these thoughts and emotions out. Because according to him, I have issues with keeping my emotions bottled up inside of me, and evidently, that is not healthy. Lol. Anyways enough about that- back to finding an outlet for my thoughts and emotions. My outlet is writing. Since I have a blog, this is where I let my thoughts out. Since you are my friend (or you randomly clicked on this link on some social media site), you get the job honor privilege of reading my random thoughts. Lol.

I don't know if it is just me, but has the world seemed crueler lately? It just seems everywhere I look, people are being mean. Or just NOT nice. I don't know. Maybe I'm too sensitive and my heart hurts too easily. Maybe I'm too much of a goody-goody. Maybe I'm trying too hard to be a "Pollyanna". Regardless, I honestly believe if everyone was nice to at least ONE person a day, the world would be a better place. (BTW, if my life was a musical, there would be a song and dance number right here).


I'm not even talking about a huge act of kindness here. It could be as simple as letting a car into your lane during rush hour (although you know that they waited until the last minute to move over). It could be telling the person at the drive-thru window of Whataburger to have a great day. It could be returning a shopping cart you see in the middle of a parking lot to the cart return location. It could be not losing it when Taco Cabana takes 35 minutes to give you the two tacos you ordered. It could be complimenting someone on their outfit or hair. It could be acknowledging a coworker in the elevator instead of pretending that you are on your phone (okay, I'm so guilty of doing that). It could be as simple as smiling and saying "hi, how are you?" to a stranger. 


I love social media, but sometimes I think people use it solely as an outlet to be mean to others. I have to stop myself from reading the comment section of Facebook posts because people can be downright ugly. It can be the cutest video of a dog or a kid, and someone will find something negative about it. It goes back to the old phrase "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all". I actually found myself deleting a tweet last night because after I posted it, I realized it just wasn't nice. I personally stay away from controversial topics on social media: Politics. Gun control. Abortion. War. The correct way to hang a roll of toilet paper. I know there are people passionate about those topics, and that is fine. But if you and someone disagree on something, there are ways of discussing the topic in a respectful manner. Odds are, neither one of you is going to change the other person's mind. No need to be flat out mean and call each other names. Personally if I see a friend post something and I disagree with it, or it makes me angry, I just keep scrolling. I'm sure someone else has posted a cute picture of their kids or fur babies, and that will take my mind off of it.


Don't worry, I'm not going to go off about cyber bullying (although I know it's there- and not just with kids. Adults can be 10 times as cruel). I know it is so easy to be mean when someone has been mean to you. I think it's human nature to react that way. It's also easy to let other people bring you down. I'm not saying if you react with kindness that it's going to make everything better and you and the other person are going to hug it out (but you never know). A little kindness can go a long way.






 XOXO!!

0 XOXO's:

Post a Comment